Welcome to the Mali-Boomer!

 When I was twelve my parents took our family on a trip to Disneyland, and there was this one ride called the Mali-boomer (like Malibu but boom, yeah?). It was kinda like a drop of doom, but you started at the bottom and it would launch you up and then you would free-fall, and it would do this over and over for a few minutes. That’s pretty much the best way I can describe how these last few weeks have been.


There has been so much uncertainty, so many great blessings and so many challenging things all along side each other, and it keeps coming so fast I don’t even know how to process it. The last month has been an absolute whirlwind.

We traveled up to Mount Hagen on October 2, not knowing if we would be there for two weeks or two months, because our plans for the last two outreaches had fallen through and we weren’t entirely sure of what God had in mind for us. We didn’t know what type of accommodation we were going to have, but that the hospital was providing it and we didn’t have to pay (can you say blessing??)!


Well we arrived at possibly the biggest and nicest apartment I have ever stayed in! I expected to look out the window and see the Sydney skyline or something, because it did not feel like we were in Papua New Guinea. God is SO good. 


Well we did the outreach, traveling around to remote villages to provide primary health care. We had a doctor and three nurses on our YWAM team, and then the local hospital provided a dentist, two physiotherapists, an eye doctor and nurse, and a gynaecological nurse to perform screenings for cervical cancer. 

The outreach actually went very smoothly, with literal ups and downs (because of the wild roads!), and emotional ones as well, visiting beautiful villages and connecting with the people, but also not being able to help everyone when you want to, just because theres not enough time.


We ended up coming back to Port Moresby after just two weeks (I had a slight delay because I’m silly and I booked my flight on the wrong day, but it also ended up being a God thing, because my friend who also had a later flight ended up getting sick and needing me to take care of her). Now we are planning to run medical clinics in the Port Moresby area over the next month, which I am very excited about!


We have two outreaches, so two groups of medical volunteers coming to serve until the end of November, and after that I am headed home for a whole month!


Through all of this craziness over the past month, I am being reminded of God’s goodness over and over. God is in control, and I’m just along for the ride. Just like the Mali-boomer, when I let go and trust that the ride isn’t going to drop me, I’m not going to die, I can actually enjoy the ups and the downs, and have fun! As wild as this season has been, I’m enjoying the ride and having fun being on adventure with God. 


How you can be praying for me:
  • I come home in less than six weeks! Although I’m excited, I want to remain present and focused on the work that needs to be done, to serve the people of the Port Moresby area to the best of my ability
  • With the ship’s medical coordinator going back to the U.S. for a wedding before the last outreach, I am needing to take on more of a leadership role. Please pray for wisdom and discernment and strength as I lead the last outreach on my own
  • The ship is scheduled to sail to Solomon Islands in January. Please pray for finances and maintenance work to remain on schedule so we can meet our deadline!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Days Until Launch!

Exciting News!

There and Back Again